Tuesday, July 16, 1985

A.K.O.B. "Another Kind of Blues" ep

A.K.O.B. were a hardcare band from Vancouver. The band was made up of former members of the House of Commons. As might be assumed by the name of the band they were influenced by the UK Subs. This 6 song 12" was released by Undergrowth Records which was responsible for other 12" like Death Sentence, NoMeansNo, Snakefinger and a comp called Undergrowth '85. The label was run by Laurie Mercer who was the manager of NoMeansNo. I found out a bunch of material about the label at a blog called O'Canadarm.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that anyone should care but I went to college with Tony, the bass player from AKOB. He was studying classical bass during the day and doing punk gigs at night. Last I heard, because he spoke both colloquial English and colloquial Japanese and knew all the specialized music terminology he was planing on going to Japan to write product manuals for music gear. AKOB were pretty ferocious live the one time I saw them, but I had no idea that that EP came out the year I met Tony. I always got the impression from him that although he was proud of AKOB he thought it was a project without a future.

    He was really smart and a good guy, I hope everything turned out well for him and fuck I feel old now.

    [Edit] I have that gig poster in a box somewhere which maybe means that Tony started at the college after I did. Fuck it, ancient history.

    ReplyDelete